200 West First Avenue
P.O. Box 1188 Big Timber, MT 59011

Office Hours: Mon - Fri
8AM-12PM / 1PM - 5PM

Phone: 406-932-4376

Phone: 406-932-4376

Sweet Grass County Attorney: Patrick Dringman countyattorney@sgcountymt.gov


How do I report a crime & what happens afterwards?

If the crime is in progress, immediately call 911. If the crime has already occurred, the first step to take is to call the Sweet Grass County Sheriff’s Office at (406) 932-5143. The law enforcement agency will ask you a series of questions to complete a report that will then be investigated. Once the initial investigation is complete, it will be forwarded to either the City Attorney’s Office or the County Attorney’s Office for review by a prosecutor who will then decide what charge(s), if any, will be charged.

How do I report abuse or neglect of a child?

If you believe someone is abusing a child, call the Montana Child Abuse Hotline: (toll free, 24 hrs) 1-866-820-5437

I am a victim in a criminal case. Is the County Attorney’s Office my attorney?

The County Attorney’s Office represents Sweet Grass County and the State of Montana in criminal cases and not individual persons. Victims and witnesses are consulted throughout a case and assisted through the court procedures related to a criminal prosecution. Their input is sought after and given utmost consideration, however they are not personally represented in the criminal case. Therefore, the office cannot give out any specific legal advice, but can direct victims and witnesses to community resources that may be helpful recovering from the crime committed against them. If you deem it necessary you have the right to obtain private counsel.

Is it up to me whether I want “charges pressed” against an individual?

Every attempt is made to thoroughly consult with and consider the wishes of a victim or witness in a criminal case but they do not “press” charges against an individual. Just as law enforcement has an obligation to investigate a crime, a prosecutor has an ethical obligation to work to uphold the criminal law. Ultimately, it is the Sweet Grass County Attorney’s decision whether to prosecute a case, or not, and determine how the case can best be resolved. The same holds true if you want criminal charges “dropped” against an individual. The judge imposes the criminal penalty at sentencing.

What do I do if someone has written me a check that has been returned NSF or Closed Account?

Download our bad check packet or stop by the office at the Sweet Grass County Courthouse, 200 West First Avenue and pick one up.  You must send the demand letter via certified mail return receipt requested.  You can return the completed packet to our office.

Where can I get free legal advice?

Lawyer Referral and Information Service:
Montana Bar.org – Self Help
Montana Legal Services: 406-442-9830 – (800) 666-6124
www.MontanaLawHelp.org; www.mtlsa.org

How do I apply for an Order of Protection?

Contact Sweet Grass County Justice Court at (406) 932-5150

Do you have a number for the Better Business Bureau?

Montana Consumer Protection Office: 406-444-4500

© 2024 Sweet Grass County | Website design and development by Classic Ink Creative